As a senior library manager at Swinburne University, I will be encouraging our staff to attend Library Camp Australia. Here are my top five reasons:
- Excellent free professional development opportunity.
- The opportunity to be an active participant in discussions and for participants to be challenged and stimulated.
- An alternative to the traditional conference attendance.
- Strategic relevance to all libraries - The topics are determined by the participants hence it is an opportunity to talk about what is going on at the coal-face and what is truly important to participants. They decide.
- Excellent networking opportunities. People from all levels and many different types of library attend. Students and people in allied professions also attend. You can’t get better than that.
I am so enamoured with Library Camp Australia and unconferences that I joined the unorganising committee for libcampoz12. I am happy to chat with any managers that are wavering about sending staff. I am a convert.
Send your staff and come along yourself.